Sreenidhi Institute of Science and Technology: Raising the Standards of Technical Education by bringing the Transformation
Several technical institutions have emerged in our nation within the last few decades as the craze of Science and Technology have truly transformed the variant domains and brought a revolution of advancement through digitization and other miraculous inventions and innovations. On the same notion, Sreenidhi Institute of Science and Technology in Hyderabad has taken the standards of technical education to the next level by delivering the best to students.
Sreenidhi Institute of Science and Technology (SNIST) was established in the year 1997 with the approval of the AICTE, New Delhi and the then Govt. of Andhra Pradesh. It was incepted with the enrollment of 260 students in five branches of engineering namely B.Tech. Courses in EEE, MECH, ECE CSE and IT. The college is affiliated to JNTUH, Hyderabad.
The expertise of dedicated faculty combined with the progressive management had unfurled the flag of the tremendous success that resulted in its expansion. Consequently, the institute has become one of the leading technical institutions in South India with around 1620 students in8 B.Tech. Courses, 156 Students in 7 M.Tech. Courses and 90 in the MBA program.
The specializations which are provided at UG and PG level are as follows:
|I. Under Graduate Programs:
|II. Post Graduate Programs:
|1. Civil Engineering (CE)
2. Electrical & Electronics Engineering (EEE)
3. Mechanical Engineering (ME)
4. Electronics and Communication Engineering (ECE)
5. Computer Science and Engineering (CSE)
6. Information Technology (IT)
7. Electronics and Computer Engineering (ECM)
8. Biotechnology (BT)
|1. Electrical Power Engineering (EPE)
2. Computer-Aided Design and Manufacturing (CAD/CAM)
3. Thermal Engineering (TE)
4. Digital Systems & Computer Electronics (DSCE)
5. Computer Science and Engineering (CSE)
6. Computer Science (CS)
7. Computer Networks & Information Security (CNIS)
8. Master of Business Administration
What makes them different?
Institutes need to deliver something unique in academics and educational related domains so that they can provide exemplary learning facilities to students.
SNIST is Autonomous under UGC Act and it has permanent affiliation from JNTUH, Hyderabad. Thus, the Institution has complete academic autonomy and hence their syllabi are framed as per the skills in demand and taking into consideration of Disruptive Technologies. As stated above, the management believes that faculty is the heart of the institution, which is the reason why the college has become one of the best institutions in the State.
The distinctive features of their Institution are igniting the spirit of innovation in students who are not only involved in innovations but also in new product development which will help some of them to become entrepreneurs. The second feature is to promote the students to submit applications for patents for which entire expenditure is borne by college.
Walking with the changes
Change is inevitable as we have heard this a multitude of times, but to walk with these changes is not everyone’s choice. Whether it’s a professional voyage or personal, it is wise to keep abreast of the latest changes.
The college has been conducting Skills in Demand Analysis through the study of the advertisements in various national level newspapers and also web portals. The new Skills in Demand in the industry in various branches of engineering are identified and changes needed in the curriculum are carried out by the Boards of Studies concerned in association with industry personnel.
There is a lot of divergence between what is taught in the institution and what has to be carried out in the industry. To have a smooth transition of their graduates from the world of study to the world of work is ensured by organizing internships for the students for nearly 6 months in the industry so that they are aware of industrial practices and they will get tuned to join the industry after their graduation.
Highly experienced and proficient lecturers and teachers are employed at SNIST to deliver the learning with the best of their expertise and knowledge. The faculty is more focused on offering practical knowledge rather than just teaching the concepts. For the technical background, it’s indispensable to teach with experiments and demonstrations.“The institution is made by the faculty and not by buildings or equipment.”
Besides teaching effectively, they also encourage students to engage in research and innovation as well.
A lot of changes are taking place in the curriculum so that the teaching and learning process is in the direction of producing industry-ready graduates. The onset of Outcome-Based Education (OBE) has greatly influenced the Teaching-Learning Process with the memory-based evaluation is giving way to analysis-oriented thinking.
The Co-Curricular Activities
SNIST has introduced a plethora of co-curricular activities for the up-gradation of interpersonal skills or to grow in all dimensions.
The following co-curricular activities are conducted by the college, which is supported by it. The college students are always involved in the competitions so that their Team Skills, Interpersonal Skills and Technical Skills will take shape.
- Technical Associations in all branches
- Various activities such as Paper presentations, Mini and Major Project competitions, conducted by student chapters, Annual Tech Fests, etc.
- The result of the Co-curricular and Extra-curricular activities is reflected in the placement process and all the students who participated in these activities are always selected in the Campus Placements.
The Government’s Role
The contribution of the Government for the development of Self-financing institutions is almost nil. However, they are conducting Industry-Academia Meets to reduce the gaps between industry and institutions. The results of these come out to be almost nothing though the Government is conducting for the last 50 years. They normally end up with blame game and no concerted decisions are taken. The industry desires that the institutions produce industry-ready graduates but they do not contribute anything to help the institutions in this regard.
In the recent past professional organizations such as NASSCOM, FICCI and CII are trying to tell the institutions for the needed curriculum change to cope with new industrial requirements but they also do nothing for training the faculty to understand and assimilate the new subjects so that they can effectively teach.
Professional courses must be in line with industry requirements so that graduates will be more acceptable to the industry. At the same time, there is a need for great exposure of all students to industry and also the faculty so that they will be able to teach with industry orientation.
The CSR Initiatives
We are a part of the collective consciousness so it becomes our foremost responsibility to serve society and take some measures to help it either individually or collectively.
On the same notion, SNIST believes in protecting the environment and to save the mother earth from catastrophes. The college has installed a high capacity solar power plant, which is meeting 90% of its power requirements. Besides this, 90% of lamps are LEDs. The college is planting trees and also constructing water harvesting pits. The college also has installed a wastewater treatment plant on the campus. Our students have been engaged in the activities of energy-saving and to keep the water bodies neat and clean.
Moreover, the students are encouraged to form many Non-Governmental Organizations for helping the students in the Government Primary Schools and helping the disadvantaged in orphanages and old age homes. BachpanPrayas, the NGO, was invited by the United Nations Youth Conference, which was conducted in New York. This is the only NGO invited from India in that particular year.
The college has organized several health camps in various villages, which are helping the Government schools by providing a Library, Water purification units, etc. More than these, the college is producing excellent graduates who are placed in various industries and helping them in their further development.
`Achievements and Milestones
Sreenidhi Institute of Science and Technology has rendered a behemoth contribution to the educational domain, which has helped it to win several achievements and accolades. The list is as follows:
- College is accredited by NBA for all courses at a very young age of 5 ½ years, which is perhaps a record. It is also accredited by NAAC with ‘A’ grade.
- When it was just 8 years of age, World Bank has selected the college to be in Technical Education Quality Improvement Program in Phase – I.It is the only Institution that is selected in Phase – I in the entire State of Telanagana in about 300 self-financing institutions in the State.
- It is also selected in TEQIP Phase- II and the total assistance of Rs.16.00 crores were received. The reasons for their selection are accreditation by the NBA, the largest number of FDP programs conducted by any college and highly qualified faculty who are the members of national-level committees.
- The college believes that faculty is the heart of the institution and the best teachers were invited to teach in the college.
- The college has a motto that the graduates passing out of the institution are balanced individuals who are intellectually strong, emotionally stable and socially responsible. Whatever that is required to be done by the college are achieved.
- The faculty and students are given seed money for conducting research. In the last five years, 1542 papers were published in Indexed Journalsout of which 700 papers were published in association with the students.
- 37 applications were submitted for the award of Patents out of which 18 applications were submitted by students. Some of the patents are already registered and others are in different stages of scrutiny.
- The college has adopted excellent motivational techniques and awards are given for research, best teacher awards to the faculty and best student awards to students based upon the criteria and weightage proposed by teachers.
- Faculty is allocated research projects by AICTE, UGC, DST, etc. and many consultancy assignments were also carried out by faculty.