Quad Summit Highlights: India, Japan, US, Australia Discuss Indo-Pacific Strategy
Being called Quad colloquially, the Quadrilateral Security Dialogue (QSD) is a group of four nations Australia, India, Japan, and the United States for strategic security dialogue. This group was initiated by Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe in 2007 who was supported by then US Vice President Dick Cheney, Indian Prime Minister Dr. Manmohan Singh as well as Australian Prime Minister John Howard
The group was compared with joint military exercises at a high scale which was never seen before. This diplomatic and military arrangement was seen as a response to Chinese military and economic power. The Chinese government expressed its objection to the group by issuing formal diplomatic protests and called it ‘Asian NATO.
The leaders of the Quad nations met on May 24, 2022 in Tokyo for the fourth time and second time in person. Here are some of the highlights of the developments from the summit.
- This was the fourth interaction of Quad Leaders. Earlier they have interacted in March 2021 virtually, in person in the US in September 2021 and in March 2022.
- The summit focussed on several initiatives launched by the four-nations to discuss the developments in the Indo-Pacific region.
- Prime Minister Narender Modi highlighted India’s consistent and principled position on the need for cessation of hostilities, resumption of dialogue and diplomacy in Tokyo.
- Quad leaders warned against attempts to change the status quo by force” amid the growing concern that China could invade self-ruled Taiwan. However, A joint statement by the Quad bloc did not directly name China’s growing military power in the region but left no doubt about it either.
- PM Narender Modi invited US industries to come to India to manufacture in the defence sector under Make in India and Atmanirbhar Bharat Programmes.
- Japan’s PM Kishida and PM Modi agreed to further enhance bilateral security and defence cooperation, including defence manufacturing.
- Modi proposed Japan Week to celebrate Japanese contribution to India’s development journey.
- While using another term for Asia-Pacific, Japan’s PM Fumio Kishida said “As Russia’s invasion of Ukraine is shaking the fundamental principles of the international order…(we) confirmed that unilateral attempts to change the status quo forcefully will never be tolerated anywhere, specifically in the Indo-Pacific region,”.
- The quad leaders committed to staying ahead of the virus by strengthening the global health architecture which includes finance and reinforcing current science and technology cooperation. The Quad countries announced the ‘Quadvaccine partnership’ at the first summit on 21st March 2021.
- Seeing the urgent need to talk about climate change, Quad leaders launched the “Quad Climate Change Adaptation and Mitigation Package(Q-CHAMP)” with mitigation and adaptation as its two themes.
- ‘Every Quad leader individually and collectively strengthen their cooperation to lessen and adapt to the impacts of climate change that is a huge threat especially for the Indo-Pacific region’ -A joint statement by the four leaders stated.
- Four nations agreed to strengthen cooperation on infrastructure, important for driving productivity and prosperity in the Indo-Pacific region. They also committed to address the debt issues which have been compounded by the coronavirus pandemic in many countries. They will work closely with partners and the region to increase private and public investment to fill the gap.
- The fighter jets of Russia and China carried out joint flights over the Sea of Japan and China on the same day as the leaders of Quad bloc met in Tokyo, Japan said.
- Japan’s Defence Minister Nobuo Kishi informed that Tokyo has expressed grave concerns to Russia and China over the flights.
- The four nations launched a new maritime domain awareness initiative to work with regional partners to respond to humanitarian and natural disasters and combat illegal fishing.
- Top 10 Young Entrepreneurs in India 2022
- Upcoming Indian Web Series for 2022-23
- Top 10 Hospitals in India 2022
- Top 10 richest player of the world 2021
- Top 10 highest-paid Indian Athletes 2021
- Top 10 highest paid CEO in the World
- Top 10 richest person of India
- Top 10 Highest Paid CEOs of India
- List Of Most Followed Facebook Pages in 2022
- The Success Story of Jeff Bezos
- Success Story Of Elon Musk
- Top 10 Business Magazine In India
- Top 10 Business Newspaper In India
- Top 10 richest billionaires in the world 2021
- Upcoming English Web Series in 2021
- Top 10 Tourist Places in India, places to visit after lockdown
Leave a Reply