Top 10 Graphic Designers in India
Written By Jaya Pathak
Graphic designers are the professionals who communicates through visuals. Graphic design in India has witnessed significant growth and development over the years. With a rich cultural heritage and a vibrant creative community, India has become a hub for graphic design, attracting both local and international talent.
Indian graphic designers often draw inspiration from the country’s diverse culture, traditions, and visual aesthetics. They blend traditional motifs and patterns with contemporary design techniques, creating a unique visual language that reflects India’s identity.
Here presenting the top 10 Graphic Designers in India:-
01. Akshar Pathak
He is a well-known graphic designer, illustrator and writer from India. He gained popularity through his creative and humorous social media posts, particularly on his Instagram account. Akshar is known for his witty and relatable illustrations that often comment on social issues, popular culture and everyday situations. His illustrations and designs have resonated with a wide audience, making him a prominent figure in the Indian graphic design and social media space.
Akshar has collaborated with various brands and organisations, showcasing his talent for creating engaging and impactful visual content. He has created numerous notable works that have gained recognition and appreciation. Some of his notable works include:-
- Akshar co-founded the project “Minimal Bollywood Posters,” where he reimagined iconic Bollywood movie posters in a minimalist style. His creative reinterpretations captured the essence of the films and garnered a significant following.
- Akshar’s illustrations on social media platforms, particularly on Instagram, have gained immense popularity. He often creates relatable and humorous content that comments on social issues, current events and everyday situations. His installations have resonated with a wide audience and have been widely shared and appreciated.
- Akshar has collaborated with various brands and organisations to create engaging visual content. His designs and illustrations have been featured in campaigns, advertisement and promotional materials for companies across different sectors.
02. Benoy Sarkar
Born in Calcutta in 1938, Benoy made a significant impact on the field of graphic designing. He is renowned for his contributions to corporate communications and his ability to create effective designs. His work includes designing iconic logos for various corporations, which are known for their simplicity and elegant representation of the organisation’s meaning. Sarkar skilfully utilized the syntactic of form and the semantics of representation to create visually appealing and meaningful designs.
Sarkar has a deep interest in studying and appreciating various cultures, which is reflected in his design works. He incorporated elements of different cultures into his designs, adding a unique touch to his creations. During his studies at Yale University in the USA, he had the privilege of learning from esteemed designers such as Paul Rand and Alvin Eisenmann.
These masters played a significant role in shaping his design sensibilities and he was able to translate their teachings into graceful and functional solutions. One of Sarkar’s notable achievements lies in his creation of memorable logos and identity programs for various corporations and institutions. Some of the popular works are:-
- He designed the Indian Pavilion at the Montreul Expo’67 exhibition.
- Some examples of his work include designing for the Electronic Corporation of India, Indian Airlines, Delhi Transport Corporation, Airports Authority of India, Trade Fair Authority of India and many others.
03. Dashrath Patel
He was an Indian artist and designer known for his contributions to various art forms and graphic design. He played a crucial role in establishing the National Institute of Design (NID) in Ahmedabad, Gujarat. Under his leadership, NID became a premier educational institution for design, contributing significantly to the development of India design aesthetics and design education.
As a graphic designer, he created iconic corporate logos, book covers and exhibition displays. He created numerous notable works across various art forms throughout his career. Here are some of his notable works:-
- Dashrath Patel made significant contributions to the field of graphic design. He created iconic corporate logos, book covers and exhibition displays. His designs were characterized by their simplicity, clarity and ability to communicate effectively.
- One of Patel’s notable works was his role in establishing NID, Ahmedabad. He played a pivotal role in shaping design education in India. His vision for NID emphasized the integration of traditional Indian aesthetics with contemporary design principles.
04. Gopi Prassana
He is a renowned publicity designer known for his exceptional work in South Indian cinema. He has a diverse background, having previously worked in programming, gaming, advertising, and branding before venturing into the film industry. His journey began with the National award – winning film, Aaranya Kaandam, which marked his debut as a publicity designer. Since then, he has contributed his creative talents to over 40 films.
One notable aspect of Gopi Prasannaa,s work is his emphasis on the significance and relevance of publicity design in the present -day multiplex era. He recognises that film promotions begin with the release of the first poster and acknowledges the increased attention posters receive. Consequently, he experiences tremendous pressure to deliver unique and captivating designs.
- Gopi has contributed his publicity design skills to numerous films, including Yeman, OK Kanmani, Kaatru Veliyidai, Vikram Vedha, Sarkar, Vivegam, Irudhi Suttru, Raja Rani and others.
05. Madhukar B Raju
He is an Indian graphic artist known for his creative and diverse work in the field of design. With over 8 years of industry experience, Madhukar specializes in visualisation, design concept and creative thinking.
- He has worked on various design projects including identity design, brochure design, package design, presentations, websites and more. He has proficiency in tools such as Illustrator, Photoshop, Flash, Corel Draw, Audacity, iFilm Edit, Dreamweaver and more.
- His works includes creating print collaterals, logo design, Lotus Notes mailers, presentations and screen savers.
- He has also contributed to the design cell of Pankhudi Foundation, an NGO serving underprivileged children in Indian society. He has worked with renowned companies like Yahoo India, Sun Microsystems, Oracle, ITC, Infosys, Toyota Kirloskar Motors and more.
06. Mira Malhotra
She is a well-known graphic designer hailing from Mumbai. She obtained her master’s degree from the prestigious National Institute of Design, which is recognised for its excellence in design education. As the founder of Studio Kohl, a renowned design studio, Mira has made significant contributions to the field of graphic design.
- Studio Kohl is known for its expertise in providing graphic design services that aim to bridge the gap between art and design. Mira’s designs are characterised by vibrant colours and a hint of whimsicality which reflects her cheerful personality.
- Mira Malhotra’s designs also serves as a platform to raise awareness about environmental and societal issues. Through her work, she expressed her concerns and communicates important messages related to these causes. Her designs not only captivate the audience visually but also serve as a medium for initiating conversations and sparking positive change.
07. R K Joshi
Professor R K Joshi was a renowned academic type designer and calligrapher from Kolhapur, Maharashtra. He made significant contributions to the field of typography and is particularly known for designing major Indian fonts used in Microsoft Windows. Joshi’s creative philosophy can be summed up in his quote, “Ek akshar lihava, ek tap thambava”, which means write one letter and wait for ages before writing the next one. This reflects his meticulous approach to design and his emphasis on the importance of patience and attention to detail.
- One of Joshi’s notable achievements was his contribution to multilingual advertising campaigns in India. He believed that by using multiple languages, advertising concepts could reach a wider audience across different states. The first such campaign was the Ashok Jain campaign, which marked the beginning of this innovative approach in the country.
- Joshi’s creative prowess extended beyond typography and advertising. He also designed captivating logos exclusive menus and stationary, incorporating Indian calligraphy into his designs.
- Throughout his career, Joshi received recognition for his outstanding work. He was awarded the Bukva- raz, an international award for his “Raghu” font. In 2004, he was honoured with a lifetime Achievement Award by the Ad Club for his remarkable contributions to the advertising industry.
08. Sujata Keshvan
She is known for her creative talent, innovative approach and influential work. She co-founded Ray+Keshvan, a leading branding and design consultancy based in India. Under her leadership, the agency has gained recognition for its expertise in brand strategy, visual identity, packaging design and communication design.
- She has worked across diverse industries, including the FMCG technology, hospitality, finance and more. Her versatility in adapting to different sectors and delivering effective design solutions has established her as a respected figure in the field.
- Sujata Keshvan actively participates in initiatives and organisations that promote design and innovation. She has been a member of the World Economic Forum Global Agenda Council on Design & Innovation, where she contributes to shaping the global discourse on design related issues.
09. Vikash Satwalekar
He is a former editor and Managing Director of the National Institute of Design in Ahmedabad. He is known for his expertise in graphic design, publication design, exhibition design and identity systems.
- He has worked on several corporate identification projects for organisations such as Mother Dairy, the National Dairy Development Board and the Tara Channel.
- His work also includes creating logos, channel identity graphics and signature films for various entities, including Doordarshan Channel identities, DD news and Prasar Bharti.
10. Sudarshan Dheer
He is a highly respected master in the field with over 50 years of experience. He started his career working with advertising agencies and later founded his own design studio called Graphic Communication Concepts.
- Dheer is known for his logical approach to graphic design and believes that it is not rocket science but a result of simple logic.
- He gained recognition for winning the HP logo design job, which features a circle representing the even distribution of oil throughout the country.
- He has also published a book titled “Symbols, Logos and Trademark: 1500 Outstanding Designs from India” and lectures on graphic design at various national and international organisations.
A student can become a Graphic designer after the completion of his intermediate examinations with any stream. Then, he/she may complete his/her B.Des in Graphical Design and M.Des further. Students may also apply for Diploma in Graphic Design for completion of 12th boards.
There are several notable companies in India that are known for their focus on design and offer great opportunities for graphic designers. Ogilvy, Landor, Wieden+ Kennedy, Flipkart, Infosys, Studio ABD and many more companies value design and offer excellent opportunities for graphic designers.
The average salary of a graphic designer in India can vary depending on factors such as experience, location, company size and industry. The average salary of a graphic designer ranges between INR 2,00,000 to INR 6,00,000 per year.
Some of the cities in India that are known for their thriving design and creative industries are Mumbai, Bengaluru, Delhi, Pune, Chennai and more. These are just few examples and there are plenty of places in our country that also offers promising opportunities for graphic designers.
01. What are the best colleges for Graphic Designing in India?
- National Institute of Design, Ahmedabad
- Pearl Academy, New Delhi
- National Institute of Design, Gandhinagar
02. What are the entrance exam for graphic designing in India?
- Undergraduate Common Entrance Examination for Design
- All India Entrance Examination for Design
- National Institute of Design Entrance Exam
03. What is the salary of a graphic designer?
The salary ranges between 3 to 4 lacs for a beginner.
- Top 10 shoe brands in India for men & women 2023
- Top 10 Adorable Gifts for Your Special One
- Top 10 Countries with Maximum Indian Population as Citizens
- Top 10 Small Business Statistics You Need to Know For 2023
- Top 10 highest paid CEO in the World
- Top 10 richest person of India
- Top 10 Highest Paid CEOs of India
- Top 10 Most Selling Bikes and Scooters of 2022 in India
- The Success Story of Jeff Bezos
- Success Story Of Elon Musk
- Top 10 Business Newspaper In India
- Top 10 Tourist Places in India, places to visit after lockdown