Top 10 Countries with Maximum Indian Population as Citizens
Working abroad is not only a great experience, but it can also launch your international career and open doors to new opportunities around the world. Sometimes going abroad takes that pressure off and gives you the freedom to live by your own rules.
Today, Indians are spread everywhere in the world. About 150 years ago, Indians started moving outwards in search of opportunities. Now more than 44 lakh Indians live in America alone. This is the largest number of Indians in any country outside India. But their population is increasing in other countries of the world as well, which you can easily understand from the statistics given below.
Statistics of Indians abroad
|Indians in Asia|
|Country||Indian population||% of the total population|
|United Arab Emirates||3,500,000||27.1%|
|Indians in Europe|
|Country||Indian population||% of the total population|
|Republic of Ireland||91,520||1.9%|
|Indians in Africa|
|Country||Indian population||% of the total population|
|South Africa||1.3 million||2.7%|
|Indians in South America|
|Country||Indian population||Total Population||% of the total population|
Here is the list of the top 10 countries which have the highest proportion of the Indian population
01 – Nepal
- Capital: Kathmandu
- Dialing code: +977
- Currency: Nepalese Rupee
- Prime minister: Pushpa Kamal Dahal
- President: Bidhya Devi Bhandari
- Population: 30,102,211 (2022)
- GDP: $41.7 billion (nominal, 2022 est) $141.1 billion (PPP, 2022 est)
Nepal, formerly the Federal Democratic Republic of Nepal, is a landlocked country in South Asia. 81.3 percent of the citizens of Nepal are Hindus. According to reports, Nepal is the most religious Hindu-majority country in the world, with most of the important Hindu pilgrimage centers concentrated in this country.
Around 6,00,000 Indians are living/domiciled in Nepal. These include traders and businessmen who have been living in Nepal for a long time, professionals (doctors, engineers, IT personnel), and laborers (including seasonal/migratory in the construction sector). There is a big number of Marwadi in Nepal businesses. In 2001, it was estimated that about 4 million Indians had migrated to Nepal in the last 35 to 40 years.
4 million NRIs in Nepal comprise 14.7% population of the country.
02 – United States of America
- Speaker: Kevin McCarthy (Republican Party) Trending
- Capital: Washington, D.C.
- Dialing code: +1
- President: Joe Biden
- Population: 33.19 crores (2021)
- Gross domestic product: 23.32 lakh crores USD (2021) World Bank
The most powerful economic and military power in the world is a North American country called the United States of America. Its popular culture, as represented in music, film, and television, has a significant global influence on culture.
A report published by the Ministry of External Affairs in 2018 revealed that there are 4 million plus (roughly 1.4 percent of the total population) Indians residing in the United States.
- Persons of Indian Origin (PIOs) –3,180,000 (31.80 Lakhs)
- Non-Resident Indians (NRIs) – 1,280,000 (12.80 Lakhs)
The Approx population of Indians in the United States as of 2021 is 45 Lakhs.
03 – Saudi Arabia
- Dialing code: +966 Trending
- Capital: Riyadh
- Currency: Saudi Riyal
- King: Salman of Saudi Arabia
- GDP per capita – 23,185.87 USD (2021)
- Population – 3.6 crores (2021)
Saudi Arabia, officially the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia, is a country in Western Asia. With a land size of roughly 2,150,000 km2, which covers the bulk of the Arabian Peninsula, it is the second-biggest Arab nation, the largest in Western Asia, and the Middle East. It is also the fifth-largest country in Asia.
According to the 2018 report of the Ministry of External Affairs, there are 2,594,947 (25.95 lakh) Indians living in Saudi Arabia.
- Non-Resident Indians (NRIs) – 2,592,166(25.92 Lakhs)
- Persons of Indian Origin (PIOs) – 2781
According to the latest reports, the majority of expats in Saudi Arabia are Indians, who make up between 10 and 13 percent of the country’s total population. There are 28–30 lakh Indians living in Saudi Arabia as of 2021.
04 – Malaysia
- Prime minister: Anwar Ibrahim Trending
- Capital: Federal Territory of Kuala Lumpur
- Dialing code: +60
- Population: 3.36 crores (2021) World Bank
- Official language: Malay
- GDP per capita – 11,109.26 USD (2021)
Malaysia is a nation in Southeast Asia that has territory on both the island of Borneo and the Malay Peninsula. It is known for its beaches, and rainforests and for its mix of Malay, Chinese, Indian, and European cultural influences.
Malaysian Indians are the third largest ethnic group in Malaysia after the Chinese and Malays. Malaysian Indians make up 8 percent of the total population of Malaysia.
According to the 2018 report published by the Ministry of External Affairs report, there are 2,987,950 (29.88 Lakhs) Indians residing in Malaysia.
- Persons of Indian Origin (PIOs) –2,760,000 (27.60 Lakhs)
- Non-Resident Indians (NRIs) – 227,950 (2.28 Lakhs)
05 – United Arab Emirates
- Capital: Abu Dhabi
- Dialing code: +971
- Currency: United Arab Emirates Dirham
- President: Mohammed bin Zayed Al Nahyan
- Population: 93.7 lakhs (2021) World Bank
- Gross domestic product: 41,502.16 crores USD (2021) World Bank
- Prime minister: Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum
The United Arab Emirates, or simply the Emirates, is a country in Western Asia. The United Arab Emirates has seen a significant increase in the population of Indians here due to the growing opportunities in petroleum, finance, and other industries. The most important part of the country’s community is 40% of Indian expatriates. There are over 3 million Indian expatriates living in the nation.
As per the report of the Ministry of External Affairs, there are 3,425,144 (34.25 lakh) Indians living in UAE. UAE ranks No. 1 in the population of Non-Resident Indians (NRIs) in the world, followed by the USA (13 million) and Saudi Arabia (2.6 million).
06 – United Kingdom
- Government: Parliamentary system, Constitutional monarchy, Unitary state Trending
- Capital: London
- Dialing code: +44
- Prime minister: Rishi Sunak
- King: Charles III
- Population: 6.73 crores (2021) World Bank
- GDP – 3.13 lakh crores USD (2021)
The United Kingdom, also called the U.K. or Britain, consists of a group of islands off the northwest coast of Europe. These include England, Scotland, Wales, and Northern Ireland. The name Britain is sometimes used to refer to the United Kingdom as a whole. Soccer, rugby, cricket, boxing, and golf were all invented in Britain.
Indians constitute about 2.3% of the population of the United Kingdom and the population of Indians in the United Kingdom was expected to reach 1.6 million in 2022.
According to the Ministry of External Affairs report, there are 1,764,000 Indians residing in the United Kingdom.
- Persons of Indian Origin (PIOs) – 1,413,000 (14.13 Lakhs)
- Non-Resident Indians (NRIs) – 351,000(3.51 Lakhs)
07 – South Africa
- Government: Constitutional republic, Parliamentary republic
- Capitals: Cape Town, Pretoria, Bloemfontein
- Dialing code: +27
- President: Cyril Ramaphosa
- Population: 5.94 crores (2021) World Bank
- Official languages: Afrikaans, English, Xhosa, Zulu, Southern Sotho, Tswana, Northern Sotho, Tsonga, Venda, Swati, Ndebele
- GDP – 41,901.5 crores USD (2021)
South Africa, the southernmost country on the African continent, is renowned for its varied topography, great natural beauty, and cultural diversity, all of which have made the country a favorite destination for travelers.
Before 1981, South Africa has a long history of giving power to many big countries involved in the culture of slavery in order to fulfill the development which reflects even today in African countries mainly in Mauritania and Burundi. Despite the poverty in many countries of Africa still it provides business opportunities to businessmen. You will be surprised that Indian companies from Airtel to TVS are making huge profits by selling their products in African countries.
According to the Ministry of External Affairs report, there are 1,560,000 (15.60 Lakhs) Indians residing in South Africa.
- Persons of Indian Origin (PIOs) – 1,500,000(15 Lakhs)
- Non-Resident Indians (NRIs) – 60,000
Today Indians make up about 2.5% of South Africa’s population and have contributed not only to the country’s diversity but also to the economy.
08 – Canada
- Prime minister: Justin Trudeau Trending
- Capital: Ottawa
- Dialing code: +1
- Population: 3.82 crores (2021) World Bank
- Official languages: French, English
- GDP – 1.99 lakh crores USD (2021)
Canada is a country in North America consisting of ten provinces and three union territories. Canada is often at the top of the list of the best countries to live in. Indians move to Canada even though the cost of living in Canada is high. Because it is not just about financial differences but many other quality factors like top universities, better job opportunities, the standard of living, free health facilities, access to the international market, etc.
According to report published in 2021, about 2.46 lakh Indians immigrated to Canada between 2016 and 2021, which is 18.6% of the total number of immigrants. According to the 2021 census, there are a total of 1.85 million (1,858,755) Indians in Canada, which is 5.1% of the country’s total population.
09 – Myanmar
- Capital: Naypyidaw
- Dialing code: +95
- Currency: Myanmar Kyat
- Population: 5.38 crores (2021) World Bank
- Official language: Burmese
- GDP – 6,509.18 crores USD (2021)
Myanmar (formerly Burma) is a Southeast Asian nation of more than 100 ethnic groups, bordering India, Bangladesh, China, Laos, and Thailand. Its old English name was Burma, which was named after the Burmese, the most populous caste here. Its capital is Naypyitaw and the largest city is Yangon formerly known as Rangoon.
India and Myanmar signed a treaty of friendship in 1951. Prime Minister Rajiv Gandhi’s visit in 1987 laid the foundation for strong ties between India and Myanmar. Several agreements have been signed to enhance bilateral cooperation between the two countries which are still beneficial to both countries.
According to a 2018 report by the Ministry of External Affairs, there are about 2,000,000 (2 million) Persons of Indian Origin (PIO) in Myanmar and 9207 Non-Resident Indians (NRIs) in Myanmar. Some of the Cities where Indians are in large numbers are Yangon (Rangoon), Mandalay, Pyin U Lwin, and Kalaw
10 – Mauritius
- Capital: Port Louis
- Dialing code: +230
- Currency: Mauritian Rupee
- Prime minister: Pravind Jugnauth
- Population: 12.7 lakhs (2021) World Bank
- Official language: English
- GDP – 1,152.9 crores USD (2021)
Mauritius, an Indian Ocean island nation, is known for its beaches, lagoons, and reefs. The island was more or less successfully occupied by the Dutch, French, and British before gaining independence in 1968. A beautiful country like Mauritius is often compared to heaven on earth because of the calmness and the view of the blue sea here that mesmerizes people.
According to the Ministry of External Affairs, there are 894,500 (8.94 Lakhs) Indians residing in Mauritius.
- Persons of Indian Origin (PIOs) – 884,000 (8.84 Lakhs)
- Non-Resident Indians (NRIs) – 10,500
Let us tell you that about 70% of the population of Mauritius is Indian. Here Indians get jobs easily by looking at their skills. Also, it is not very expensive to live here.
01. Which country has the most Indian population?
The top 10 Countries with the Maximum Percentage of Indian Population are as follows: –
- Nepal – Top country with Most Indians
- United States of America – Top countries with the Most Indians
- Saudi Arabia – Top country with Most Indians
- Malaysia – Top country with Most Indians
- United Arab Emirates – Top countries with the Most Indians
- United Kingdom – Top country with Most Indians
- South Africa – Top countries with Most Indians
- Canada – Top country with Most Indians
- Myanmar – Top country with Most Indians
- Mauritius – Top country with Most Indians
02. Which are the top 5 Countries with the most Indians?
The top 5 Countries with the most Indian residents are as follows: –
- United States of America – Countries with the most Indian
- Saudi Arabia – Countries with the most Indian
- Malaysia – Countries with the most Indian
- United Arab Emirates – Countries with the most Indian
- United Kingdom – Countries with the most Indian
03. Which are the top 10 poorest countries in the world?
The 10 Poorest Countries in the World (based on their 2020 GNI per capita in current US$) are as follows: –
- Burundi – $270
- Somalia – $310
- Mozambique – $460
- Madagascar – $480
- Sierra Leone – $490
- Afghanistan – $500
- Central African Republic – $510
- Liberia – $530
- Niger – $540
- The democratic Republic of the Congo (formerly Zaire) – $550
04. Which are the top 10 richest countries in the world?
The Top 10 Richest Countries in the World (by GDP per Capita, current prices US$ – World Bank) are as follows: –
- Monaco – $190,512
- Liechtenstein – $180,366
- Luxembourg – $115,873
- Switzerland – $87,097
- Macao (China SAR) – $86,117
- Ireland – $85,267
- Norway – $67,389
- United States – $63,543
- Denmark – $61,063
- Singapore – $59,797
- Upcoming List of Top Indian Web Series of 2021
- Top 10 richest player of the world 2021
- Top 10 highest-paid Indian Athletes 2021
- Top 10 highest paid CEO in the World
- Top 10 richest person of India
- Top 10 Highest Paid CEOs of India
- List Of Most Followed Facebook Pages in 2021
- The Success Story of Jeff Bezos
- Success Story Of Elon Musk
- Top 10 Business Magazine In India
- Top 10 Business Newspaper In India
- Top 10 richest billionaires in the world 2021
- Upcoming English Web Series in 2021
- Top 10 Tourist Places in India, places to visit after lockdown
Leave a Reply