How technology is revamping business operations amid COVID-19
Due to the recent Covid 19 outbreak, many organizations around the world were forced to start work-from-home replacing the traditional office concept. This concept of working from home has been with us for almost a year and we see more and more people taking this concept to work professionally. They are using remote access tools in order to have a better work experience from home. It almost seems like working from home is becoming the new normal and it’s time we revisit the remote work infrastructure and tools to make sure that they are performing efficiently and meeting the requirements of the current IT landscape in the long run.
Challenges: The most common practice is to use Virtual Private Networks(VPNs), Microsoft Remote Desktop Protocol(RDP), or virtual network computing(VNC). This may be fine for very small companies or businesses on a single LAN, but global corporations can’t afford the risk of a data breach this entails. Many free or basic tools centered around chat, video conferencing and screen sharing can help for quick screen sharing sessions but they are not designed for work from home environments.
Solution: Solutions should be designed specifically for remote access and in particular remote-access solutions should offer the robust security that business will need as most of their people are working from home.
While selecting the remote access solution we should look for below features and functionalities:
- Single sign-on (SSO) capability, ensuring employee passwords meet compliance and security requirements
- TLS and 256-bit AES encryption, device authentication, two-step verification, and multiple 2nd-level password options.
- Quick installation, click-and-connect capability, speed and performance for everyday use.
- Secure anytime remote access to work computers, even after normal work hours.
- Access to Windows, Mac and Linux computers from any other Windows, Mac, iOS, Android or Chromebook device.
- Support for BYOD (bring your own device) rather than requiring remote users to use company-issued devices to ensure security
- Work productively from home as if you were in the office using your computer in person.
- Manage multiple users and computers under your remote access tool account. Easily scalable for thousands of users.
- The ability for IT to drag-and-drop file transfer, remote print, remote reboot, remote wake, chat and multi-to-multi monitor support.
- High-performance, low-latency solution able to support streaming HD video, thus improving user productivity.
- Human-readable logs, session recording and easy monitoring and reporting.