Written By: Dr. Amit Mishra
The Success Story of Walt Disney: A tale of The Animated Man’s Artistry
“All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them.That’s the real trouble with the world. Too many people grow up.”~Walt Disney
Walt Disney, the father of Mickey Mouse and designer of the 27,000-acre campus of Disneyland popularly known as “Happiest Place on Earth”, is one of the most inspiring entrepreneurs of animation and entertainment world on the planet.
Rising from humble roots, Walt Disney was not born to privilege, rather through his sheer hard work he got success in the establishment of The Walt Disney Company, including its subsidiaries and affiliates which is today an outstanding diversified family entertainment and media enterprise at International level with the business segments like Media Networks, Parks, Experiences and Products, Studio Entertainment, and Direct-to-Consumer and International.
The company laid its establishment on October 16, 1923, as Disney Brothers Cartoon Studio, with Walt Disney and his brother, Roy, as equal partners, the company soon changed its name, at Roy’s suggestion, to the Walt Disney Studio.
Walter Elias Disney, an American Entrepreneur, Animator, Voice talent & film producer was born in a small locality in Chicago on December 5, 1901. He was one of the five children of Flora Call Disney (Mother) and Elias Disney (Father) Irish, Canadian, German, and American line of ancestry. The creative talent of Walt was ignited by a township doctor who requested him to draw his horse at the age of four when his family moved to Marceline, Missouri, United States.
Young Walt immediately fell all over with art and steadily advanced his skills by imitating the cartoons in newspaper. At the age of seven, Walt determined to support himself and his struggling family by selling drawings to the person living close by and family friends.
Walt Disney was a daydreamer in his school days. His teachers used to often find him daydreaming or drawing casually pictures of animate beings and nature. Later he promoted his hidden talent of storytelling and would communicate his classmates’ eccentric tales while demonstrating them on the blackboard.
Walt and his family moved to Kansas City when he was ten years old, where his uncle found employment for him as snacks and newspapers seller beside the railway road. It was fascinating for Walt to work on trains in summer, an adoration of which can be seen until today in his theme parks.
Walt used to wake up at 4:30 early morning along with his brother Roy to distribute the newspaper before school during the rest seasons of the year. The other round of newspaper selling used to be done after school. The exhausting job would often make Walt fall asleep in class, but he kept on doing this work for more than six years to support his family living.
Awards & Honours
Disney, as a film producer, maintains the record for most Academy Awards earned by any individual, by winning 22 Oscars from 59 nominations. He was conferred with two Golden Globe Special Achievement Awards and an Emmy Award, besides other honors. His various films are incorporated in the National Film Registry made by the oldest federal cultural institution called the Library of Congress.
Odyssey of Walt Disney
- Walt Disney made his Alice Comedies in the 1920s with Alice (little girl) and Julius (cat) as the live character, Disney achieved success in the animation business and created such famous characters as Oswald the Lucky Rabbit and Mickey Mouse for four years, however in 1927, he decided to move instead to an all-cartoon series.
- Over the next several seasons, Disney successfully produced cartoon series’ and feature films like Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs, Pinocchio, and Bambi.
5 Effective Take away Tips on Entrepreneurship
- If you can dream it, you can do it. Success begins with creative power. Dreaming boundless and delightful things, and making them so powerful in your brain that you simply must make them come to life is the key to success. Your commitment to your work will decide your future. And it is important to overlook money.
- Do What You Love. Disneyland is a work of love. We didn’t go into Disneyland just with the idea of making money. Choosing a career that passionate you will never make you feel dissatisfied or even allow you to work a day in your life.
- The way to get started is to quit talking and begin doing. Once you will stop talking, you can actually come to a decision to the doing part.
- Don’t Stop After Your First Success. Never settle yourself after an accomplishment. Keep on working on another project it may be a new one or improvement in the current one.
- We keep moving forward, opening new doors, and doing new things, because we’re curious and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths. We should develop a great tolerance for risk.