TPM Solicitors & Consultants– A pioneer in the field of trade remedies
One cannot be a good professor without having been a better student. And one cannot be a consultant without having extensively researched and studied the field. And, if anyone wants to find the best and most experienced solicitors and consultants, the obvious choice has to be TPM Solicitors & Consultants, a firm that offers revolutionary solutions in international trade remedies and policies.
TPM was founded by Mr. A. K. Gupta in 1999, who has been a pioneer in the field of trade remedies. TPM is a professional consultancy firm that engaged in providing services to the domestic and global industries in matters related to International Trade including Tariff Measures, Non-Tariff Measures, Trade Policies, Customs, Industry Analysis, Business Consulting (in the ambit of International Trade), Trade Compliance, Litigation, and Indirect Tax.
TPM has created a name for itself in the highly specialized field of trade remedies, especially in representing the Indian industry seeking protection from unfair competition from imports from other countries. TPM has unparalleled experiences in the field of trade remedies having been involved in more than 700 investigations by now.
Be different so that people can see you clearly amongst the crowd
TPM is distinctively known for its exemplary services in a highly technical field, and it is evident from the number of cases successfully handled by their team over a period of nearly two decades. Their wide range of services include assistance to the:-
- Domestic manufacturers seeking the imposition of antidumping, countervailing and safeguard duties against imports of the like products produced by them in India.
- Producers outside India seeking the imposition of a duty on imports of their product into their country.
- Foreign companies facing anti-dumping cases by third countries, for example, a UAE and Mexico company facing investigation by Brazil, an Egyptian company facing a case in Brazil.
- Indian exporters and producers facing anti-dumping, anti-subsidy or safeguard investigations by various global authorities and
- Importers in India seeking the protection of their interests in the investigations being conducted in India
Other than trade remedial measures, they also assist industries in finding a suitable business solution to mitigate the adverse effects of competition in the market.
The Tale of struggle
Success never comes easily on everyone’s plate. Behind every success story, there is a huge risk, a stumble, a setback or a radical change of direction. Being in government service as a bureaucrat, Mr. Gupta took the risk of setting the business of consultancy in a specialized field, where few had ventured before in India. The firm was established on few basic principles – be passionate and dedicated, be creative and stay focused, adapt with changes, be prepared to make sacrifices where required, and provide the best services to the clients.
Following these principles, TPM has been able to build up a successful practice in the field, while also contributing to the development of trade remedial practice in the country.
TPM serves all types of manufacturing industries from small unorganized producers to highly organized and established industries. They have also assisted numerous companies in the chemical sector since chemicals are on the peak of global trade.
TPM provides complete solutions to the problems faced by their clients by being connected with them from the beginning to the end of the process. They assist the industry from the stage of advising them on how to collect information, compiling information in a structured form, submitting information, representing the case before authorities and up to representing the industry before the Courts.
Since the clients are satisfied with not only the outcome of the cases but also the level of professionalism exhibited by the team of TPM during the entire process of their case; it may not be out of place to mention that if anyone becomes the client of TPM, he always remains as the client of TPM. TPM prides itself on being able to develop and maintain enduring relationships with their clients.
Research and Innovations
Being one of the biggest and oldest firms in the field, TPM has been instrumental in the development of the trade remedial practice in India. Since the trade remedy law is almost two decades old in India, it has stabilized to a certain extent. Still, there are certain grey areas, which TPM, being one of the top firms in the field, takes up consultations with the Government through various forums. While India started using these instruments only in the early 90s; the law is being used by countries such as Europe, the US, Canada for a fairly long period. TPM’s approach involves extensive examination of the WTO obligations, Indian laws and the practice followed by other investigating authorities globally. The strength of TPM is in its research, manpower, and ability to find solutions to problems.
Additionally, TPM believes that there is a need to encourage entrepreneurship in India and to strengthen the industrial base in the country. There is especially a need to protect, develop and sustain the small-scale labor-intensive industries, that are a source of livelihood to millions. However, despite multiple government policies aimed at encouraging such industries, the small-scale industries of India often find it difficult to survive as a result of the unfair competition from cheap imports and are seldom aware of the remedies available to them under the law. In order to ensure that the small scale producers do not find it difficult to survive in the challenging global market, TPM organizes workshops along with its partner associations. These workshops are aimed at generating greater awareness amongst the small-scale industries about the remedies available to them under the law to face the unfair trade practices being followed by exporters.
Milestones and Achievements of TPM
“If you want to achieve excellence, you can get there today. As of this second, quit doing less-than-excellent work.”
- Thomas J. Watson
- In 1999, TPM became the first specialized consultancy firm to start providing services in the area of trade defense actions
- Since its incorporation, TPM has been Number 1 firm in the Country assisting domestic producers facing injury due to injurious dumping.
- In 2000, TPM received the first assignment to assist the Indian industry facing a case in Europe.
- TPM assisted Govt. of India in WTO disputes and started assisting GOI in subsidies investigations against Indian exports.
- In 2015, TPM represented the Indian industry in the first successful anti-subsidy investigation by India.
- In 2019, TPM represented the Indian industry in the first bilateral safeguard investigations conducted by India.
- TPM represented Egyptian domestic industry seeking anti-dumping duty against the US
- TPM has also represented Egyptian, Indonesian and Thai industries in investigations initiated in their countries and in other countries
The future is in your power
The TPM philosophy has always been that “rather than being a jack of all trades, it is better to be a master of one”. Instead of focusing on potential markets, TPM has always worked towards creating a niche for itself in its existing market. Their expertise and the success rate have been the key driving force for their clients to repeatedly approach the firm.
They are also planning to open branch offices outside Delhi and overseas. Hence, they intend to picture their footprint in major countries, which undertake a fair number of trade defense actions, including, but not limited to USA, Europe, and China.
Leave a Reply