IPL 2023, GT vs CSK: Dhoni’s Dream in Jeopardy If Final Fails to Happen Today
Written by Sanjay Kumar
Due to rain forcing the abandonment of play on Sunday, the Indian Premier League (IPL) 2023 final between Chennai Super Kings and Gujarat Titans was rescheduled to the reserve day on Monday (May 29). Not a single delivery could be bowled as the heavy downpour persisted, and upon assessing the pitch conditions, the organizers concluded that they were unsuitable for play.
As Monday arrived, the weather forecast indicated minimal chances of rain, but any further disruptions to the match could give rise to several potential scenarios. The organizers’ primary objective remains to ensure a complete game takes place, but if rain delays persist, there might be a delayed start to the proceedings or even a thrilling finish decided by a super over.
Indian Premier League
- Countries – India
- Administrator – Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI)
- Headquarters – Cricket centre, Mumbai, Maharashtra
- Format – Twenty20
- First edition – 2008
- Latest edition – 2023
- Tournament format – Round Robin format with Group System and Playoffs
- Number of teams – 10
- Current champion – Gujarat Titans (1st title)
- Most successful – Mumbai Indians (5 titles)
- Most runs – Virat Kohli (7263) (RCB)
- Most wickets – Yuzvendra Chahal (187) (RR)
What are the cut-offs for a rain delay?
If there is a rain delay, the match will begin losing overs starting from 9:36 pm, and as time progresses, the match duration will decrease. The deadline for a five-over match to take place will be 12:06 am on Tuesday.
Contingencies if a Five-Over Match Cannot Take Place
If there are additional rain delays, the outcome of the tournament could be determined by a super over. The regulations state that if it becomes impossible to schedule and complete a five-over match by the end of the allocated additional time on the reserve day, the teams, if weather conditions permit, will engage in a Super Over to determine the ultimate winner of the final.
Outcome if Super Over Cannot be Conducted
If the final match is ultimately abandoned, the Gujarat Titans would have the advantage. As per the rule, the defending champions would claim the title due to their superior performance during the group stage, surpassing that of the Chennai Super Kings. The rule specifies that if it becomes impossible to commence or complete the Super Over without any interruptions, the team that achieved the highest position in the league table after the completion of the 70 matches in the regular season would be declared the winner of the respective playoff match or final.
- Top 10 shoe brands in India for men & women 2023
- Top 10 Adorable Gifts for Your Special One
- Top 10 Countries with Maximum Indian Population as Citizens
- Top 10 Small Business Statistics You Need to Know For 2023
- Top 10 highest paid CEO in the World
- Top 10 richest person of India
- Top 10 Highest Paid CEOs of India
- Top 10 Most Selling Bikes and Scooters of 2022 in India
- The Success Story of Jeff Bezos
- Success Story Of Elon Musk
- Top 10 Business Newspaper In India
- Top 10 Tourist Places in India, places to visit after lockdown