Adani Capital Buyout: Three Private Equity Firms to Be in Acquisition Race
Written by Sanjay Kumar
- Three private equity firms eye INR 2,000-crore Adani Capital buyout.
- Adani Group aims to exit non-core businesses and focus on niche areas while conserving cash for primary operations.
- Adani Group has raised an impressive $9 billion in just four years, attracting investments across various listed entities in its infrastructure portfolio.
Chairperson of Adani Group
- Born: 24 June 1962 (age 61 years), Ahmedabad
- Net worth: 5,050 crores USD (2023) Forbes
- Organizations founded: Adani Group, Adani Power, MORE
- Children: Karan Adani, Jeet Adani
- Spouse: Priti Adani
- Education: Gujarat University, Sheth C N Vidyalaya
- Parents: Shantaben Adani, Shantilal Adani
Adani Group intends to sell its ten-year-old shadow bank, Adani Capital, and three private equity firms are planning to submit their strongest bids for the NBFC.
01. Bain Capital, 2. Carlyle Group, and 3. Cerberus Capital Management will present their binding bids for Adani Capital in the upcoming weeks, as per a report from the Economic Times.
The billionaire entrepreneur plans to exit the non-core business sector to concentrate fully on the company’s niche areas. He aims to conserve cash for the primary operations of the company.
There has been no official confirmation regarding the buyout of Adani Capital by the Adani Group thus far. The spokesperson of the Adani Group stated to The Hindu Businessline that Adani Capital, the group’s NBFC arm, is seeking additional growth capital from international strategic and financial investors. However, no clear statement was provided about the future of Adani Capital.
Gaurav Gupta leads Adani Capital and brings with him valuable experience from his tenure at Helman Brothers and Macquarie. Since 2016, he has been leveraging his expertise in advancing the progress of Adani Capital. At present, Adani Capital offers various loan services, including loans for farm equipment, commercial vehicles, business loans, and supply chain finance.
In a remarkable four-year period, Adani Group has successfully raised an astounding $9 billion. The conglomerate initiated its capital transformation journey for its core infrastructure portfolio in 2019.
According to a press release by Adani Group, this program has facilitated the participation of long-only global investors in the world’s largest and fastest-growing infrastructure development. The Adani portfolio provides a comprehensive investment opportunity through its portfolio companies spanning the infrastructure spectrum, encompassing energy and utility, transport, and logistics.
The investments have been attracted across multiple listed entities, including Adani Ports and Special Economic Zone Limited (APSEZ), Adani Green Energy Limited (AGEL), Adani Transmission Limited (ATL), Adani Total Gas Limited (ATGL), and Adani Enterprises Limited (AEL).