Written by: Rashi Saral
In an organization, the employee’s stability and growth are dependent on the attitude and behavior of a boss. If the manager is good and positive, the employees will also show the reciprocation. If the boss shows negative or cruel attitude, then the employees will suffer.
“A bad manager can be the biggest threat to the mental level of an employee.”
According to the international survey, there are multiple companies, where an employee’s productivity rate is falling at a rapid pace. “Do thou want to know, why?” The answer to this question, we, as a team of one of the growing organizations in India, BUSINESS CONNECT, wants to share with all the managers, some of the most important signs of a bad manager.
If you think that the profits or productivity of your company is constantly declining, and you as a manger are in an extreme dilemma, that why is so? May be there is a flaw in the leadership style, you are projecting on them, if this is the case, then as a manager, it’s a high time to look inside rather than outside, and consider this article as your guide for the scope of improvement.
I have worked with many organizations under different managers, so with sound experience, I do have a great idea about the characteristics of a good and bad manager. According to my viewpoint,
“Leaders, who cannot inspire, motivate, and boost the morale of his team members are,surely notfall into the category of good managers.”
Find out for thyself, whether you fall into the following signs of a bad manager, if yes, then take the measures and work on yourself. Following are the points, which present a descriptive module for the signs of a bad manager:
- You are indecisive: If you lack the quick decisive quality, then surely it’s not a good quality. You just worry a lot, keeping a lot of apprehensions in mind, you just lost the ability of quickly act. For example, you can take decision, but you wait for the above authority to approve that, therefore, not believing in yourself.
- You do not create the boundaries: There should be visible boundaries between the managers and employees. If you are the best friend of one of your employees, but your friendship is coming into the work as the employee is experiencing the dual side of nature. He does not expect you to find out the flaws in his work, by which his work quality is also going down, so it’s quite important to create the healthy boundaries.
- You play the game of favoritism: It means you do not treat all the employees equally. You favor the people in accordance of your likes/dislikes. The people who do buttering or have a good bonding with you, they get the benefit but on the other hand, people who work hard are not noticed by you, and their efforts are in vain.
- You do not interact with the employees one-on-one: You don’t share the cordial bond with the employees; it means the challenges/problems your people are facing, you are totally unaware of it. Consequently, there is a veil between your employees and you. It means their boss does not have time to listen to them.
- You lack empathy: If you don’t think what your employees are going through, it is the biggest proof that you are a bad manager. For example: If one of the employees is constantly burning himself with the lot of work stress, but you are not trying to understand his situation, and continually you are stressing him with workload, then you are the worst manager.
- You over impose the rules of organization: If you don’t provide the flexibility to your team workers, and continuously try to bound them with unreasonable rules of your company which actually steals from them freedom of creativity, then surely they are going to leave you.
- You are not trustworthy: It means, you are do not owe the trust of your employees. In the time of crisis, your people know you are going to leave them, cannot stand with them.
So, these were some of the traits of a bad manager. If you fall into this category or your manager falls into it, this may provide you a clear understanding.