By: Ashwathy Nair
- A dozen signals are being bought, to be fixed on the cantilever and standard poles.
- Pelican signals can be used by pedestrians to stop traffic and cross the road.
- The automatic signals would have a diagnostic mechanism to fix minor software-related faults.
The traffic signals aresoon going to be replaced with a hi-tech LED automated traffic lights. This is an ambitious project that would be completed in portions. It has been approved to go-ahead, by the police commissioner SN Shrivastava.
- It will be a microprocessor-based road traffic signal controller with a 32-bit CPU.
- The feature includes a restart system, in case of any power failure, it will simply restart without operator intervention.
- It has an auto-shutdown feature, if there will be an occurrence of heavy fluctuations, it would auto start on restoration.
- It also has an assured No Loss of Data for up to 10 years.
- These automated traffic lights can be set in a 0 to 55 degree Celsius environment, which will be an advantage to Delhi as it experiences high temperatures during summer.
- The signals will be in the shape of a steel cabinet which will help surviving rain and dust, as it is totally built weather-proof and can even work in humid weather.
As per the source, “a dozen traffic signals are being bought to be fixed on the cantilever and standard poles, which will be installed on two and three-lane roads. In the same way, a dozen Pelican signals and 25 pedestrian signals will be obtained that can be used by pedestrians to stop the traffic and cross the road. 50 blinkers and 25 auditory devices are also being included in the list. The auditory devices are used to ensure the safety of the visually impaired. When the pedestrian light turns green, the devices will make a sound to indicate that the road can be crossed”.
These new signals will ultimately become a part of the Intelligent Traffic Management system. Currently, the locations for the installment of these signals have not been decided but it will be installed at specific places according to need basis.
The upcoming traffic signals would automatically update the faults to the control room, which would phenomenally improve vehicle movement and make traveling in the monsoon enjoyable.