Lionel Messi announces retirement, says FIFA World Cup 2022 final will be his last for Argentina
Star Argentina footballer and captain Lionel Messi has confirmed that Sunday’s (December 18) final match of the ongoing FIFA World Cup 2022 in Qatar will be his last for his country. The 35-year-old, is the tournament’s leading goal scorer and assist provider this year. On Tuesday night (Wednesday IST), he assisted Argentina in reaching the FIFA 2022 final by defeating Croatia in the first semifinal. He scored his team’s first goal against Croatia and then provided an assist to Julian Alvarez for the team’s third goal.
- Born: 24 June 1987 (age 35 years), Rosario, Argentina
- Current teams: Argentina national football team (#10 / Forward), Paris Saint-Germain F.C. (#30 / Forward)
- Height: 1.69 m
- Spouse: Antonela Roccuzzo (m. 2017)
- Salary: 4.1 crores USD (2022)
- Shoe size: 10
- Children: Mateo Messi Roccuzzo, Thiago Messi Roccuzzo, Ciro Messi Roccuzzo
Speaking to Argentine media outlet Diario deportivo OLE after Argentina’s victory, Messi confirmed his retirement plans and said Sunday’s final would be his last game for the South American giants. Argentina, captained by Messi, performed brilliantly in the semi-finals and won over Croatia. After this, the news of Messi’s retirement came to the fore.
According to a news published in Hindustan Times, Messi has confirmed his retirement. Messi said, “I am happy that I will end the World Cup journey by playing in the final match. The next World Cup will come after a long time and I don’t think I will be able to do it till then. It’s best to end like this.” If we talk about Messi’s career, then he has been brilliant.
He has played 171 matches for Argentina so far and has scored 96 goals during this period. He has played 9 matches for his team this year and scored 16 goals. Messi scored 9 goals in 2021 while playing 16 matches. He started his international career for Argentina in the year 2005. Messi played three matches for the senior team in 2005. Although he could not score a single goal.
Significantly, in the quarter-final match, Argentina registered a thrilling victory against the Netherlands. Both the teams were tied at 2-2 till full time. A penalty shootout followed, in which Argentina won 4–3. Argentina then went on to win 3–0 over Croatia in the semi-finals. Now Messi’s team will play the final match on 18 December.
- Upcoming List of Top Indian Web Series of 2021
- Top 10 richest player of the world 2021
- Top 10 highest-paid Indian Athletes 2021
- Top 10 highest paid CEO in the World
- Top 10 richest person of India
- Top 10 Highest Paid CEOs of India
- List Of Most Followed Facebook Pages in 2021
- The Success Story of Jeff Bezos
- Success Story Of Elon Musk
- Top 10 Business Magazine In India
- Top 10 Business Newspaper In India
- Top 10 richest billionaires in the world 2021
- Upcoming English Web Series in 2021
- Top 10 Tourist Places in India, places to visit after lockdown